REGENERATION TOUR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pete Burns/Dead or Alive Cancel U.S. Tour

+2
rickbear
Admin
6 posters

Go down

Pete Burns/Dead or Alive Cancel U.S. Tour Empty Pete Burns/Dead or Alive Cancel U.S. Tour

Post  Admin Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Pete Burns (Dead or Alive) has cancelled his U.S. appearances this summer due to health reasons. According to Pete’s family Pete is receiving treatment and is on his way to recovery, but doctors are unwilling to commit that he'd be cleared to tour in time to start the U.S. dates July 25th; so rather than disappoint his fans at the last minute the decision has been made to postpone the dates now.

Most of the dates that had Dead or Alive scheduled will now have A Flock of Seagulls added to the shows.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://regenerationtour.com

Back to top Go down

Pete Burns/Dead or Alive Cancel U.S. Tour Empty No DOA.

Post  rickbear Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:52 pm

I knew it was too good to be true to have Pete Burns on the tour. Please don't add A Flock of Seagulls to the Las Vegas show. How about giving more stage time to the artists that matter.. Human League, now 60 min instead of 40. Belinda, 45 instead of 30. ABC, 45 instead of 30. With Naked Eyes as opening act ..the stated 30 mins.
This would work for me.

rickbear

Back to top Go down

Pete Burns/Dead or Alive Cancel U.S. Tour Empty Re: Pete Burns/Dead or Alive Cancel U.S. Tour

Post  voiceman Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:28 pm

I agree please just add time to the others!!!!
voiceman
voiceman

Back to top Go down

Pete Burns/Dead or Alive Cancel U.S. Tour Empty Which Flock

Post  jpw2525 Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:34 pm

Please only add AFOS if there is more original members than just Mike Score (Al, Paul, or Frank). If it is the new flock with heavy metal guitarist in tow, maybe a parking lot after show, which is where the new unit belongs. Awe heck, just add time to the other artists.

jpw2525

Back to top Go down

Pete Burns/Dead or Alive Cancel U.S. Tour Empty Re: Pete Burns/Dead or Alive Cancel U.S. Tour

Post  The Boiled Being Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:17 am

Agreed! Why not just give The Human League, ABC and Belinda Carlisle and extra 10 minutes each! At least they can fill the time with hits. Martin Fry hasn't got enough time in 30 minutes to do all of ABCs hits. AFOS are just selling on their name where as the others are true bands
The Boiled Being
The Boiled Being

Back to top Go down

Pete Burns/Dead or Alive Cancel U.S. Tour Empty DEAD OR ALIVE: IN DEFENSE OF PETE BURNS, THE TRUE FREAK UNIQUE! Pt 1

Post  Phoenix Rising Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:07 pm

[b] cyclops Now, I'd like to take a moment or two to discuss the Dead or Alive situation.
DOA have been one of my all-time favorite bands since their debut album,"[/i]Sophisticated Boom Boom" The first single, a re-make of K.c and The Sunshine Band's hit "That's The Way I Like It". They were already being played in New Wave/underground clubs here in the U.S,when the smash hit,"You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)" hit the radio like a ton of bricks. Pulled from the album "[i]YOUTHQUAKE",the song rocketed up the charts,and solidified itself as one of the biggest hits of the 1980's. Other tracks like "My Heart Goes Bang"," I Wanna Be A Toy","In Too Deep", and "DJ,Hit That Button" were released as special 12 inch vinyl singles,and fans ate them up. The bands third outing was the approperiatly titled "Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know". This album proved that DOA were more that a one hit wonder. The first single, "Brand New Lover" was extremly successful, recieving heavy rotation from both radio and MTV."Something In My House" followed,bringing DOA to the heights of international stardom."Save You All My Kisses" was also one of many 12 inch vinyl singles released, starting the trend of self-mixing music together....making you the DJ!
With many early comparisons between Pete Burns and Boy George, all one had to do was listen, and it became very clear that there was a huge difference between the two artists. While Culture Club were outrageously successful ,with a reggae,world type pop sound,intertwined with Boy George's soulful vocals and outlandish appearance,Dead or Alive were a mean, synth and melody driven electronic band. Pete's unique vocal style combined with his on- stage androgenous,sexually charged look and lyrics, showed that DOA were not worried about chart success any longer.They had paid their dues,and started reaping the rewards. Some might say that DOA were over-looked,because of the stunning success of Culture Club,whose first album,"Kissing To Be Clever" spawned 3 top ten hits right off the bat.Yet, DOA's second album,"YOUTHQUAKE" was actually released before Culture Club's multi-million selling sophmore album, "Colour By Numbers".
The U.S cried out for DOA to tour. The fans wanted to see Pete and Co. up close and personal.Yet, in the 1980's, most electronic/synth bands did not tour, as most of their music was studio-driven, which made for a rough transition to the live stage So, as was the fashion of the time in Pop Music, sequencers, computers, and more keyboards than in a Liberache museum, the majority of the show was pre-recorded on tape, with the band members playing high-lighted parts live. This practiced was celebrated by many of the acts of this era, including Janet Jackson,Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys,and many others.(in later years, this fact caused much controversy,and fans started getting angry, saying they felt cheated.This lead to a brief rule that stated any artist who had music in their set that was not being played live, including lip-synching,must have a disclaimer to that effect either printed on the ticket, or on a visable sigh at the venue. This situation came to a head and exploded when a horrid,tacky trick called Milli Vanilli were un-leashed on an un-suspecting public.The duo actually won a Grammy,which, after being exposed,they were made to give back to the Academy.This made Milli Vaninni the first artisis in history to ever have to return their Grammy Award. Soon after,one of the fake vocalists killed himself.)
DOA followed suit, of course, but,the difference was that Pete Burns sang live, over a pre-recorded vocal track.Most synth/electric bands of the era did not have trained vocalists,and touring ended up wreaking havoc on their vocal chords.(Artisis like Madonna and Janet Jackson have used similar methods on stage in the past.)
Yet, the DOA stage production, complete with two very hot, very gay background singers, ( eye candy, really, as they never actually sang, or played the guitars they sometimes held) went forth, and, found the right stage and audience to pull out all the naughty stops. JAPAN!!!!!
In 1987, the band released "Rip It Up" on vinyl, cassette, and home video cassette. "Rip It Up" was recorded over two nights at the Budokan Theatre. Featuring the bands best known hits,including "Brand New Lover", Hooked On Love","Lover ,Come Back To Me", and, of course,"You Spin Me Round", Pete, Steve Coy, Mike Percy,and the now proven production team of Stock,Aitken,and Waterman,( who produced the first three DOA albums) brought the hits,most of which were specially re-mixed for the live show, to the stage in a way that only DOA could pull off. Some parts of Pete's stage act were considered "too overt" for American audiences,but the European audiences were a bi more open minded, and by the time the tour hit Japan,the Tokyo crowd relished in the sexual antics and gender-bending of The Freak Unique, Pete Burns. Also released on long-form video cassette, "Rip It Up" was very successful.After it's release, it was hard to find,as DOA fans gathered it up off the shelves,and shared it with everyone they knew. People loved the show,especially the haunting sonic event,"Something In My House", re-mixed for the stage to include excerpts from 1973's classic horror film,"The Exorcist".
By this time, the production team that had made it's start with DOA,Stock, Aitken, and Waterman were in high demand by other artists, having seen what their studio skills had done for DOA. Because of this, when it came time to record the next studio album, Pete Burns and Steve Coy decided to produce it themselves.After all,they were successful, had gained much experience, and,at the end of the day,they knew what they wanted Dead or Alive to sound like.The 80's were almost over,and everyone knows that when the decade changes, the music follows suit.The outcome of this new production team was the band's 4th studio album,"Nude", released in 1989.
"Nude" was a slight departure for the band. With musical styles changing, and a new climate ( grunge) about to take hold,"Nude" was a bit more raw than it's predecessors...and...much naughtier! When released,it birthed a n"ew single, "Come Home With Me, Baby". Released as a cassette single,a new marketing idea at the time,since vinyl was falling out of style and the Cd steadily coming our way, cassettes were the biggest seller. More compact, and playable by car stereo's, the Casette Single launched a whole new way to market music. Some contains previously-un-released material,live tracks, and re-mixes as their 'B' side,as well as some containing all the available songs ( usually 2-3) on both sides. Many artists jumped on this bandwagon, and it proved to be quite a remarkable selling product. Music fans loved the idea of only having to pay for a cassette of their favorite new song,for a fraction of the cost, with out having to buy the whole album right off the bat. Collectors usually bought both, as most cassette singles included bonus material and live tracks."Come Home With Me, Baby" was no exception to the rule, having been re-mixed by Steve Coy and Jay Burnett. This version of the song was quite different than the version found on "Nude". ( Actually, the cassette single version of this track is my favourite,and was also released later on the cd,"Evolution:the Hits",which was also released as a live show on dvd)
"Nude" had some great moments......."Turn Around and Count To Ten" showed that DOA were still kicking up their heels, and bringing fans, old and new, to the dance floor.While DOA had always had great success on the club circut, the new tracks from "Nude" held up better than ever in the clubs,giving newer artists a run for their money. "I Cannot Carry On", and the fierce "My Forbidden Lover" showed everyone that DOA,were two things....
They were not Culture Club, nor did they desire to be.....
Many had written DOA off....this album pulled those fans back, tied them up and gagged them....and the fans totally got off on the bondage this disc provided them. "Nude" did extremly well, in America, and especially in Japan. Japanese fans went wild over this album,and Dead or Alive went on to win a Japanese Grammy Award for the album in 1989. The band was proud,and had every right to be. They had produced this work by themselves this time, with no outside producers. "Nude" was their love child...and that child was given many a happy home. some reaching #1 on the Billboard Dance Charts.
During this time, thing in the DOA camp started to get rocky.Tension in the band, coupled with the on-set of Pete's mental illness did not stop them, however. In 1991, during the dawn of the Grunge Movement, DOA released "Fan The Flame. Pete and Co. enjoyed making the album,as they decided to try something different. However, 'something different' was not what the DOA fans were looking for.They had relied on artists like DOA to stay true to their synth/New Wave roots,in an age where the music industry was rapidly changing,leaving the bands of the 80's to either sink, swin, or be swallowed up entirely. When the band finished "Fan The Flame", they were happy with it.The fans...well...not so much.
Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Rising

http://www.back2theeighties.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Pete Burns/Dead or Alive Cancel U.S. Tour Empty DEAD OR ALIVE: IN DEFENSE OF PETE BURNS, THE TRUE FREAK UNIQUE! Pt 2

Post  Phoenix Rising Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:09 pm

pete Burns: "I wanted to try something different.Only problem was......I forgot we had to release it. In the end, it was only released in Japan. It still contained some good things,and, in my mind, they were hits." *
1995 brought us "Nukleopatra. The 1990's saw an ever-changing Pete Burns. His look grew more and more extreme,habing gone from a long,curly haired androgenous-gender bending frontman, with no qualms about his ( suspected) bi- or homo sexuality,( when asked about his sexuality,Boy George either denied being gay, or, claimed he was bi-sexual,"I am bi-sexual.If i want sex, I have to buy it", George said to Johnny Carson. But Pete grew more and more extravagant. He still donned his famous eye patch,but his foray into plastic surgery had begun, and he had a relationship not only with his wife, Lynn, he also had his hand in the back pocket of a guy named Michael. Pete never really went out of his way to hide anything. However, Pete can be both a total professional, working long hours either singing,performing,or hosting many assorted shown in the U.K.,or a snarling, wicked queen,who no one wants to piss off.His punk roots were starting to come through more around this time, and his make-up, hairstyles, and mouth were getting more erratic,yet colorful and, as always ,unique. There was no one in the world like Pete Burns. (that statement still holds true today!) On "Nukleopatra", DOA collaborated with the Italian dance group,"Glam", and the result was the first single, the moody,edgy track "SexDrive". "SexDrive" hits the Italian charts, but had a lukewarm reaction in the U.S.. Yet, DOA continued to tour the states, many shows held at large gay clubs, with sold-out attendance. Personal problems in his working and business relationships were slowly starting to take their toll on Pete. His mental health issues came upon him again. This, coupled with the un-known future of the band,and other factors, made for a crazy environment for Pete.Yet...the show must go on.The touring continued,even in the U.S, with dates in Cleveland, Ohio and St. Louis, Mo. The Midwest is the hardest nut to crack in the music business. DOA proved, to themselves and their fans that, no matter how well bands like Pearl Jam and Nirvana were doing,DOA's sexual synth sound,transfixed by a pumping dance beat still fell on very open and eager ears. Visually, Pete now looked completely different from the double-gendered pop star we had grown to know and love. But, for whatever Pete was going through,it did not succeed in stopping him. He was (and is ) an Icon.Fans attended the shows, and while Pete stated to the press that he was sick of playing "You Spin Me Round",they still played the song, because they knew the fans wanted to hear it
The New Millenium brought us "Fragile", the first DOA album released in five years.Released in 2000,this venture was a return to the disco/synth sound they were famous for. It exposed young fans to a type of music that was really only happening in the clubs, which the new fans were too young to get into....
But...they loved it, and many went on a time journey..a trip back to the early 1980's, to start at the beginning with "Sophisticated Boom Boom", and make their way forward to their present day.The band's cover of "That's The Way I Like It",originally recorded by K.C.& The Sunshine Band in the late 70's,was embraced by a new, younger generation. Dead or Alive seemed like they would always be ,in some way, very much alive. The chart success of 'Fragile" was made possible by the younger fans who have taken DOA to their hearts.
As for the bands biggest hit, "You Spin Me Round" is still played heavily today...at school dances...on the radio, and was even re-mixed and released on the bands 2003 best of collection, "Evolution:The Hits",which features all of DOA's classic dance floor, naughty techno ,glam -banging tunes. 'Evolution" is also available in dvd format, as a rare live concert appearance, and un-released footage.
Today, in 2008, the core of Dead or Alive are no longer together. As for Mr. Burns himself, he has endured plastic surgery nightmanes, a divorce from his wife, and a shattering break-up with his long time lover, Michael. He has continued his public life, however, being one of the celebrities featured on the U.K. version of the reality -t.v. show "Big Brother". More recently, Pete has suffered a re-lapse of his very difficult battle with Bi-Polar disorder. Bi-Polar disorder can be a severly debilitating disease, and ,while there are many different kinds of medication on the market for this disorder, none of them are 100% effective,and it sometimes takes years to find a combination of drugs (and, if necessary, therapy and/or hospitalization) that truly help keep the symptoms under control. All the wile, Pete has maintained his will to come back to the American stage. His recent last-minute cancellation as a member of The ReGeneration Tour 2008 has saddened his fans, some who have been waiting since 198? to see him live. And though most of his vocals are done over a pre-recorded track, the energy, sassiness, eclecticness and timeless style of this 1980's icon is still very much there. Presently, Pete is recieving treatment for his illness, and, at the behest of his family and friends,cancelled his appearance on the tour. This was a wise decision. Right now,Pete's health and well being are at the fore-front of importance. Once he is well, there is no doubt that he will set the stage a light with gender-morphed delight. I know there ate literally hundreds of thousands of fans who are eagerly awaiting his triumphant return to the stage platform.
Let us all please wish nothing but the best for Pete.....
He, along with the rest of Dead or Alive, have given us many gifts,,,,in the form of musical performance and visual artistry,with himself as the canvas.
Now, it is up to us...the fans, to rally together, and support our beloved Freak Unique.
Please visit www.deadoralive.net, and become a forum member.
Let's give a little something back to this talented, yet troubled artist, who helped provide the soundtrack to our young and adult lives.
....and, please....do not judge him. In 2006 (?) Pete penned his auto-biography, "Freak Unique". I suggest to you that you read this tome, before passing any kind of judgement on Pete. He may seem crazy...( and let's be honest, anyone who can survive the Music Business for over 20 years has to be at least a little bit crazy!) but, Pete is not done yet. he still has many things he wants to achieve and many more songs and shows to share with his fans...young...and old. (I'm one of the 'old'.)
Also, please educate yourself about Bi-Polar disorder. Someone very close to you may suffer from it. Since mental illness, in general, has a societal stigma attached to it,in today's world,it ts truly important to understand this type of illness. It's not an easy way to live...by any means. How do I know? Because I am one of millions of sufferers of this painfully debilitating and almost impossible to control disease.
Right now, Pete is surrounded by friends and family. His behavior, both in public, and his private life,has been erratic lately. He lacks professional management, and , finally, has had all the "blood suckers" that normally surround our stars and icons ripped from his shoulders, pockets,and, hopefully, his mind.
In a world where truly being yourself is one of the most painful,difficult, and yet un-avoidable things that we go through,we have always looked at our Famous and Talented for inspiration. Yet, when the chips are down,we simply throw our hands up and say, "Well,what does he ( they )have to complain about? They're a star?", or " That's what happends when you become famous.Now, on to the next rising star."
Personally, I want to extend my deepest and most positive wishes to Mr. Pete Burns. He has kept me enthralled for over 20 years....and, he also gave me a gift I can never repay him for.....
He showed me,many years ago,when I was a young,gay male with too much fashion sense for one person, and a screaming need to be who and what I am, visually, sexually,musically...that it takes the heart of a Woman,The backbone and stregnth of a Man, and sometimes, the ability to blend those two worlds together, to create an un-forgettable icon that will not only go down in history, but who can sleep at night,confident in the notion that they are allowed (and encouraged_ to be whoever and whatever they want to be. To look the way you like....to write what you like.....to sing the words you wrote....
Thanks to artists like Pete Burns,forever will the spirit of the underdog...the power of the "weird and unusualand a catchy tune take you as far as you want to go. Make no mistake....Pete Burns is not Dead...he is very much Alive!
All Our Best,
Rev Cecil B. Demented aka Phoenix Rising
Yes, Pete,...you still spin me 'round!
Pete's new single, Raspberry Swirl" is out now. For more info, go to www.deadoralive.net
Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Rising

http://www.back2theeighties.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down