REGENERATION TOUR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US

+16
batmanusdmychina
AFOS_RULES
rickbear
gogoboy
raytrade
mccuen@carolina.rr.com
mcqued01
thompsontwin
Sara
Louden Swain
DanO
Mullet
davidk
nojarama
Phoenix Rising
Admin
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Quick poll - who should replace Go West on REGENERATION 2009?

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US I_vote_lcap4%UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US I_vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US I_vote_lcap19%UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US I_vote_rcap 19% 
[ 5 ]
UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US I_vote_lcap59%UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US I_vote_rcap 59% 
[ 16 ]
UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US I_vote_lcap18%UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US I_vote_rcap 18% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 27

Poll closed

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US

Post  Admin Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:08 pm

Even though you may be seeing them on the REGENERATION TOUR website, sorry to say but today I learned that GO WEST will not be joining us according to their management as we have not been able to overcome some budgetary issues. I've told our webmaster to remove them from the website. I'm scrambling right now to find and decide on the best possible replacement... I have Katrina (from Katrina and the Waves) on hold as are Men Without Hats and I'm waiting for a callback from Cutting Crew. Another band interested in it and one of my faves is China Crisis but I'm not sure what the recognition is for them out in the American heartland.

Rick
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://regenerationtour.com

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty Men Without Hats

Post  Phoenix Rising Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Men Without Hats is my first choice! They would be , in my opinion, the most fun to see on ReGen 2009. Katrina is......cute..but, MWH would be a much better draw, and much more entertaining! cyclops
Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Rising

http://www.back2theeighties.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty Re: UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US

Post  nojarama Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:23 pm

I picked MWH myself, but China Crisis would be just as wonderful (although I don't think most US peeps know who they are). Too bad you couldn't get Bananarama.
nojarama
nojarama

http://www.nojarama.com

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty Re: UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US

Post  davidk Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:24 pm

I'd like to see Cutting crew most , they have the most hits in my mind .

davidk

Back to top Go down

Post  Mullet Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Gotta have Men Without Hats!

Mullet

Back to top Go down

Post  DanO Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:28 pm

For me it would be:
1) Men Without Hats
2) China Crisis
3) Katrina

Cutting Crew just doesn't cut it! The other 3 are waaaay better and would be better draws.

DanO

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty China Crisis

Post  Phoenix Rising Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:38 pm

The U.S. never really caught on to China Crisis. That is unfortunate,but, there was so much going on here back then , some good bands got ignored.
....also..if there is ANYWAY to bring any form of T'Pau on to this tour, that would be the ultimate show for me!!!! cyclops
Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Louden Swain Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:47 pm

MWH! Pop goes the world!!

Louden Swain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:49 pm

I've never been a big fan of Go West, but I do like Men Without Hats, so my vote goes to them! No idea what they did after the first album though-- need to pull it out & get to Googling. Embarassed

Sara

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty Men without Hats: A nice surprise w/ history under their belt

Post  thompsontwin Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Rick,

That is a shame about Go West. They were remarkably fantastic at Retrofest in '07 and are one of those rare '80s acts today that haven't changed their sound or vocally aged. On the other hand, Men Without Hats would be a fine addition to the Tour. They have credible record sales across the '80s starting way back in 1982 and they also toured with nearly every album release they put out, including a huge US tour in support of Icehouse in 1987. I was at that show and it was brilliant! Like Berlin, it would be an all-out dance fest; No ballads from Ivan his hatless mates.

The Cutting Crew were more popular in the States that in the UK, similar to the parallel success of the Outfield and the Fixx. I've met Nick V. Edee before and he is a nice chap. However, I found him to be a bit too political on stage and it soured the mood of retro memories. As a concert attendee, I don't care to hear political views on stage no more than I want to hear my State representative sing "One for the Mockingbird". Duran Duran are suffering for this behavior as well these days.

Katrina had that one hit and that's it. It is a huge song but no one remembers the band's image or any follow-up LPs or singles to be honest. You know I'm still advocating for Kajagoogoo, especially after seeing them live a few weeks back with Limahl back on the mic.

China Crisis? Fantastic college radio band but not necessarily a great retro pop band like those on the bill already. I'd be thrilled if they were on the ticket, but radio sponsor WSB-B98.5 have never played a track by the Crisis and I fear they would be 'discounted' when the line-up is announced should they get booked for this tour.

For what it's worth, that's just my perspective.

Keep us posted Rick as I know you will.

Jeremy

thompsontwin

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty re: update

Post  mcqued01 Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:10 pm

I would have to go with Men Without Hats (with Cutting Crew as a close second) on this one. Sorry to hear about Go West as they would also have been good to see. For what it's worth I am of the same opinion as Jeremy that Kajagoogoo would be an even better replacement choice though!!! Just a thought!!!

Daryld

mcqued01

Back to top Go down

Post  nojarama Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:11 pm

I agree, Kajagoogoo would be wonderful as well!
nojarama
nojarama

http://www.nojarama.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Rising Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:23 pm

Personally, I think Kaja (googoo) would not be the best choice. They have a bitter history together, and, Men Without Hats are more fun. cyclops
Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  mccuen@carolina.rr.com Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Bring back Belinda Carlisle! She was the best!

mccuen@carolina.rr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  raytrade Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:06 pm

I think it is a mistake to have ABC headline again. They have played way to often in the past few years and it will be a big factor in many of my friends (and possibly myself) deciding against springing for tickets this year, cause the other bands are kinda weak IMHO. Of the choices for Go West's replacement, the best would be MWH. China Crisis is way too unknown unless you listened to an alternative rock station back in the 80s (even though I love them), Katrina is too much of a one hit wonder for most people, and Cutting Crew just doesn't fit as it is purely a pop band and the others are new wave. You might as well add The Outfield or the Hooters or Tiffany if you wanted to go in that direction. My thought of the Regeneration Tour's concept was mainstream new wave bands in the vein of the Go-Gos, B-52s, Billy Idol, etc.; I imagine many attendees are just casual new wave fans who listened only to pop stations and danced to the big new wave hits but would never say go to a Morrissey or Siouxsie concert. In other words, they are more likely to listen to The Knack or Modern English, and the only Soft Cell song they know is "Tainted Love"... which means Heaven 17 is already too alternative and niche for them, much less adding a band like China Crisis to the bill. Given all that, MWO is clearly the best fit for a band that fits the mainstream new wave theme.

raytrade

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty Go West Replacement Choices

Post  gogoboy Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:24 pm

Of the choices, I voted for MWH as first pick, but also interested in Cutting Crew! 'sup with Bananarama??--they have a new CD coming out this year--what better way to get some word out about it in the States!

gogoboy

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty MWH

Post  rickbear Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:05 pm

Men Without Hats would be a wonderful choice, it's Time for them to do this. Their own fan club forum pages have been wanting this for years. ABC/HEAVEN 17/MEN WITHOUT HATS..each play an hour..THAT would knock this out of the ballpark for 2009.

rickbear

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty BOOK A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS

Post  AFOS_RULES Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:11 am

LOOK!

BOOK A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS!

HAVING GONE TO 4 SHOWS LAST YEAR, I CAN TELL YOU THAT NOT ONLY WERE THEY THE SUPERIOR BAND

BUT THEY WERE THE ONLY BAND THAT DID NOT USE PRE-RECORDED MUSIC!

GET IT TOGETHER AND GET A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS!

AFOS_RULES

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty AFOS 2009

Post  Phoenix Rising Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:39 pm

I really must disagree with the idea of A Flock Of Seagulls for ReGen.2009. Last year, I found them to be very un-entertaining. In a VH-1 interview, Mike ( lead singer) said,"If you are coming to hear 'I Ran',don't come!" Well, on this type of tour, those who are not huge 80's fans, and who are just coming to hear the hits will come to hear 'I Ran'.Not to mention the fact that when they took the stage, Mike looked like a roadie,wearing blue jeans and a flannel shirt. Men Without Hats, ( and T'Pau) are much better choices. cyclops
Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Rising

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty Pre-recorded music

Post  Admin Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:51 pm

Listen, we've been through this argument before on the forum, Belinda and ABC most definitely did not use pre-recorded music, the band played completely live. Naked Eyes as well played their instruments live on stage though many of the keyboard sounds are processed heavily and use sequencers and the such. I can't honestly tell you that none of The Human League's material was stored on the laptop you saw on stage and played back during their performance.... I just really don't know but the majority of the sounds that were being produced on stage were made by the musician playing the instrument whether it was guitar, keyboards or the electronic drum pads... I was there for a number of the soundchecks and know this for a fact. You've made your argument for AFOS before here, it doesn't hold water. It is not backed up by fact. It is totally rubbish! I hate to get this way here but this is really a ridiculous statement you've made today and previously and anyone who thinks that has not a clue about music and musicians.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://regenerationtour.com

Back to top Go down

Post  batmanusdmychina Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:07 pm

Of the replacement band choices (Katrina, Men Without Hats, Cutting Crew, & China Crisis), my first pick would be China Crisis and 2nd would be Men Without Hats. I never really followed Katrina & The Waves or Cutting Crew, but would go to the concert regardless (hope there is a SLC date planned-The Depot show last summer was AWESOME!). Looking forward to seeing ABC again and hopefully Berlin will do a SLC show-Terri Nunn is amazing live.

batmanusdmychina

Back to top Go down

Post  DanO Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:05 pm

S-A-F-E-T-Y Safety Dance! I love you

I Got The Message
Antarctica
Pop Goes The World

Bring on the hatless men!

Last edited by DanO on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

DanO

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty China Crisis`

Post  jpw2525 Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Bring China Crisis, please please please. Men without Hats would be great as well - JPW

jpw2525

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty The Blow Monkeys, anyone?

Post  zane12 Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:59 pm

You may want to consider booking The Blow Monkeys. They are back together after a 17 year hiatus and sounding great with a new album, Devil's Tavern. They are currently touring their homeland.

http://www.theblowmonkeys.com

Scritti Politti would also make a fine choice.

zane12

Back to top Go down

UPDATE - GO WEST WILL NOT BE JOINING US Empty THE CLUB TOUR IDEA

Post  Phoenix Rising Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:22 pm

cyclops i really like the idea of a ReGen club tour. Smaller venues...easier to book, and bands like T'Pau, Blow Monkeys,and such would be a big hit! There may be no Phoenix date this year...=( =( affraid Please let this tour come to Phoenix again....I dont want to miss this show... cyclops
Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next