REGENERATION TOUR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is it the same few bands always do these package new wave tours?

2 posters

Go down

Why is it the same few bands always do these package new wave tours? Empty Why is it the same few bands always do these package new wave tours?

Post  raytrade Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:21 am

While I applaud any 80's/new wave tours as I love the music, I must admit to being rather burned out on seeing the same few artists repackaged in various combos in different new wave tours. A Flock of Seagulls in particular has really burned themselves out, as they seem to be a part of every touring package, so it was very disappointing to see them added in place of Dead or Alive, as at least Pete Burns does not typically tour. The Human League and ABC (and I believe even Naked Eyes) already did a tour together just a couple of years ago even. The only unusual addition to this particular tour in my opinion is Belinda Carlisle, but she doesn't even quite fit in with the other artists who are all New Wave/Modern Rock-based. (Yes, I know Belinda was in the Go-Gos but her solo stuff was decidedly considered pure pop and not played on alternative radio like KROQ, WLIR, WFNX, KITS, etc.) Besides the artists on this tour, other artists that seem to always get packaged together include Missing Persons, English Beat, Dramarama, When In Rome, Gene Loves Jezebel, and lately, the Alarm. I can't even count how many different combos of the above artists have been placed together into "Lost In the 80's" and other similar tours. With all the 80's new wave artists that we know are in fact reunited and touring, especially overseas, like OMD, Echo and the Bunnymen, Gary Numan, Go West, Heaven 17, Howard Jones, Joan Jett, Level 42, Nick Kershaw, Sparks, Squeeze, Blow Monkeys, etc., I wonder why it seems for the past few years, every 80's Tour centers around the same few acts. Are they just the only ones willing to participate in these package tours? Just wondering. Maybe it is just me, but I guess I have already burned out on seeing Human League, ABC, A Flock of Seagulls, and Naked Eyes in concert multiple times in the past few years and would love to see some other modern rock acts play together for a change.

BTW- there is an event in the UK called Retrofest that features The Bangles, Kim Wilde, Nick Kershaw, China Crisis, Boy George, Howard Jones, Paul Young, Midge Ure, Kajagoogoo, and others. Now that would be a cool tour for the USA!

raytrade

Back to top Go down

Why is it the same few bands always do these package new wave tours? Empty Re: Why is it the same few bands always do these package new wave tours?

Post  TBone Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:40 am

Have to agree with you. Though Regeneration is pretty good, there are so many other bands that do tours/festivals over in Englad based on being an "80's band." Is it because they can still command a fairly large audience over there, and not over here? Not sure. I do know that the last time ABC came through our way here in Salt Lake City, there was no more than 500 people at each show and that was with The English Beat and Naked Eyes supporting at one of the shows. I get the feeling that Americans (for the most part) easily forget the past and only see the present. How else can you explain tens of thousands filling up an arena for the freakin' American Idol performers/karaoke singers?

I tend to also think that many pass on going to these shows because, as we all know, the vast majority are not the "original" bands. Often times it's just the lead singer, and let's face it, it's not exactly the same.
TBone
TBone

Back to top Go down

Why is it the same few bands always do these package new wave tours? Empty Re: Why is it the same few bands always do these package new wave tours?

Post  raytrade Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:12 am

How true about many of these not being the original bands. ABC, A Flock 0f Seagulls, Dead or Alive and Naked Eyes are all just the original lead singer with a whole new bunch of musicians. It is just not the same seeing these types of acts versus seeing the original artists who created and made the music a hit. Guess that is why Duran Duran, Tears For Fears, Depeche Mode, the reunited Yaz, etc. evoke much more passionate responses. At least none of the bands on this tour are as bad as the fake Frankies who toured as Frankie Goes to Hollywood a few years ago, where not one member of the original band was in it, but rather one of the original FGTH's roadies passing himself and his band off as FGTH. That was such a travesty. I heard stories about how the fake Frankies' singer would always be hitting on girls at their concerts which is shameful given how the real Frankie members were gay and sang some darn homoerotic lyrics. Imagine one of the backup guitarists of ABC going on tour with a new singer and passing themselves off as ABC. That was how ridiculous the Frankie situation was.

raytrade

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down